The National Pan-Hellenic Council is an umbrella organization
for nine historically black, international Greek lettered
fraternities and sororities. Each of the nine NPHC organizations
evolved during a period when African-Americans were being denied
essential rights and privileges afforded other college students.
The groups are referred to collectively as the "Divine Nine" NPHC
was formed as a permanent organization on May 10, 1930 on the
campus of Howard University, in Washington, D.C. NPHC was
incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois in 1937.
The council promotes interaction through forums, meetings and
other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in
cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities
and functions. Today, the primary purpose and focus of member
organizations remains community awareness and action through
educational, economic, and cultural service activities. The
individual member is also expected to align with a graduate/alumni
chapter, following graduation from college to perpetuate the
purpose of the council.