Forums

Who was The Gabriel Inscription in refrence to? What is it's significance? (19)

Comments Options
Sort comments by:

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Male, 66, Los Angeles, CA

Posted December 26, 2012

..completion

Translation

The tablet consists of two partially-preserved columns of Hebrew text. The first column describes the breaking of evil by righteousness:

"By three days you shall know that, thus said the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, the evil has been broken by righteousness."

This text is reminiscent of the passage from Daniel, which declares that the Messiah will "make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness."4 The text of Gabriel's Vision goes on to describe the timing of this event as in being "in just a little while":

In just a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth.

Since the dating of this tablet has been set to the late first century B.C., this "little while" would have been just a few years before the birth of Jesus, described in the Bible as being at the time of king Herod (who died in 4 B.C.).5 The text goes on the make Messianic allusions:

My servant David, ask of Ephraim (that he) place the sign; (this) I ask of you.

At the time of the writing of the Gabriel's vision, David had been dead for 1,000 years, so, obviously, the text does not refer directly to David. However, in the prophetic passages of the Bible (e.g., Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel), the text often refers to "My servant David" as King David's descendant and the Messiah to come.6 According to Jeremiah, the Messiah is the "righteous Branch" of David, who will be known as "The LORD our righteousness,"7 which goes along with the text listed above. Line 80 begins with the phrase "by three days" followed by the word "to live" or "be resurrected" , with the source being the angel "I, Gabriel" . Because of the poor preservation of the text, the object of the command is not clear. However, the next line contains the phrase "prince of princes" . Elsewhere in the prophetic passages of the old testament, Messiah is known as "Prince of Peace."8 Daniel defines Messiah as "Messiah the Prince"9 and makes direct reference to him as the "prince of princes."10 Given the significance of the Messianic nature of the text, and the juxtaposition of "prince of princes" to Gabriel's command, it would not be unreasonable to think that the resurrected one would be the Messiah. So, the likely translation would be "By three days, live, I Gabriel, command you, prince of the princes." Therefore, this stone strongly supports the New Testament's claim that Jesus is the Messiah who died for the sins of the people11 and rose again the third day.12

Conclusion

A first century B.C. stone tablet discovered a decade ago near the Dead Sea in Jordan has been translated, showing it to be an apocalyptic description attributed to the angel Gabriel. The text of the tablet makes clear references to the Messiah who will destroy evil and bring in righteousness. In the stone tablet, Gabriel commands the Messiah to live after three days, a seeming reference to the resurrection of Jesus.

http://www.godandscience.org/a pologetics/gabriels_vision_sto ne.html

ndoki
ndoki

Male, 59, Fredericksburg, VA

Posted December 26, 2012

Many hoaxes have been perpetrated and will continue to be perpetrated. Concerning this, who knows?

One thing should remain as an anchor for those claiming to be followers of the Messiah: That we "walk by faith, not by sight."

According to Hebrews 11:1: "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."

Our confidence is to be in that which we do not see.

Many people search for Noah's Ark and other "biblical" icons to build up confidence in what they hope for. That is not faith.

Ask the One who cannot be seen if He is who He is "through" the one who cannot be seen and He will pour out to any something else that cannot be seen - His Holy Spirit - and it will confirm that He is who He is and that He has "chosen" and "approved" a Messiah. (Col 1:15)

Of that Messiah, we do not need to see him to know that he is. We just know that he is.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Male, Age Private, Tacoma, WA

Posted December 26, 2012

carlhere
carlhere

Male, 68, Benwood, WV

This is just more proof that Jesus is merely a literary construct and not a historical character. This dying/rising god-man is a very old story, and sometime around the first century it found its way into Judaism. It's what Paul refers to as "breaking down the wall of separation." The cosmic myth was converted to historical fiction and applied to a particular serious of events.

Pretty much. The stories surrounding Jesus are compostie literay works.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Posted December 26, 2012

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Pretty much. The stories surrounding Jesus are compostie literay works.

I'm sure it finds you quiet to mention that Yeshua's story is replete with historical reference, and a mountain of artifacts featured in museums around the world. Your commentary is no commentary to be viewed with gravity, it's perfect however for individuals who need no thinking to take joy in your word. You've been discredited too often to be taken seriously. You don't take yourself seriously, if you did you'd have, long ago attended to your unfinished business. Better put, lets say the business that finished you.

I remind all who read there are artifacts in museums around the world that affirm the biblical claim. It's not like more is needed. As things stand there are thousands of findings. Jericho was discovered after a shower of recrimination was cast on scripture's claim of its existence for years. There were no other references citing Jericho's existence. Word of its existence was only noted in scripture. With no archaeological find scripture's claim was subjected to what Herculitus shovels out of his storehouse of failed disclaimers every time word of something affirming is released. Jericho was found and excavated, it's wall falling down was confirmed. Herculitus toots and toots when archaeological finds toot and toot that his thoughts are no more than smoke with no fire. Scripture has been affirmed too many times for the it's a fairy tale assertion, now folks are on the line of history being constructed to affirm Yeshua's claim. What a shame. Nobody's going through all that trouble. Somebody's going through a lot of trouble to try to get people thinking what's real is nothing when in fact it has evidence in museums around the world. What about that Herculitus? The whole world is duped? Or are you duped, unable to certify your own word.

tau_123
tau_123

Male, Age Private, Seattle, WA

Posted December 26, 2012

tau_123
tau_123

Male, Age Private, Seattle, WA

Knohl⿿s reading of this tablet raises a number of questions
not the least of which is why a similar messianic conception by Jesus would be so unintelligible to the twelve disciples

It could be argued that if the idea of a dying messiah was current the disciples were unwilling to accept it in reference to Jesus or that such a notion was not widespread

The impression given by the four Gospels is that Jesus death was seen by onlookers as proof positive against any messianic claim

Knohl, while not directly addressing such questions, understands Jesus reference to Psalm 110 (Mark 12:35-37)
as a rejection of the triumphant messiah model in favor of one that involves suffering and death

as stated before the messiah stone is unprovenanced

instead of being excavated by archaeologists
who would then be able to confirm where it came from
verify its authenticity, date the inscription, and locate other clues that could shed light on the group that produced it

the stone was uncovered by traders and sold through
the antiquities market to David Jeselsohn, a Swiss-Israeli collector

the Hebrew text on which Knohl⿿s reconstruction
is based is fragmentary at critical junctures
and there is no agreement on what it actually means

As with the Dead Sea Scrolls themselves

the widely divergent readings and resultant translations
show just how problematic the work of reconstructing
such a text can be

Even when there is agreement on what words are to be reconstructed, differing opinions on their relation can lead to opposite conclusions as to what the text actually means

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Posted December 26, 2012

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

I'm sure it finds you quiet to mention that Yeshua's story is replete with historical reference, and a mountain of artifacts featured in museums around the world. Your commentary is no commentary to be viewed with gravity, it's perfect however for individuals who need no thinking to take joy in your word. You've been discredited too often to be taken seriously. You don't take yourself seriously, if you did you'd have, long ago attended to your unfinished business. Better put, lets say the business that finished you.

I remind all who read there are artifacts in museums around the world that affirm the biblical claim. It's not like more is needed. As things stand there are thousands of findings. Jericho was discovered after a shower of recrimination was cast on scripture's claim of its existence for years. There were no other references citing Jericho's existence. Word of its existence was only noted in scripture. With no archaeological find scripture's claim was s
show more

1) I am not saying Yeshua didn't exist.

2) There are artifacts of mythical characters, that doesn't make them true.

3) Author Steven King mentions real places found in Maine in his works of fiction, but it remains fiction.

4) For someone who claims to be well read you are a complete idiot.

Spectre11
Spectre11

Male, Age Private, Schenectady, NY

Posted December 26, 2012

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

3) Author Steven King mentions real places found in Maine in his works of fiction, but it remains fiction.

LMBO

Interesting topic though.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Posted December 27, 2012

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

show more

My reply: You say what's convenient for you in the moment Herculitus. Your word, as far as I've seen, has been destroyed by purposed mismanagement and use. You've allowed your disdain for scripture, which by default signifies a disdain for its Lord. What you may say Herculitus is never in questio. The reasons are always working with you fella. Corrupting light, not some of the time, all the time is your purpose. You know it. I know it.

My reply: This is another nebulous claim, unsubstantiated, a statement you wouldn't dare begin to attempt to attempt to compare notes. Want to? Say so, begin listing artifacts, besides paintings on walls and stories without physical evidence. That takes care of your thought.

Scripture's report is not stuck in fiction's limitation. Settings, whether they be real or imagined side step reality. King may use a setting, however his productions have no track record in reality. There is no birth record or acknowledgements of fictional characters by residents or officials in an area. There are missing pieces in reality between the existence of the setting and what's claimed in King's stories of happenings in his stories.

King's stories aren't established in reality. There are no tombstones for any of the characters in his stories, no records or acknowledgements,driver's licenses, etc.. The biblical report is corroborated by artifacts galore. There is a track record, a history, connections with people who actually lived, If there is no reality to it yourcontinually trying to break Yeshua's claim is for what reason Herculitus?

My reply: You labeling someone is a necessity Herculitus. You write to an idiot and receive replies that cause you to have to find more knots to drop in the talk. In this post I made some definite statements about you,and your ways. You want somebody to be an idiot so you can not feel like a fool for being caught in your green laser lie. You also ran for the hills when I pointed out facts of the Nile and sea water filling the Gizeh Plateau, climbing to over 400 feet above the Nile's level, leaving the stains on the sides of the Great Pyramid. You've had no word of any acknowledgement where scripture is concerned. I post facts and, without fail you try to drop a thought to negatively affect a claim. One thing you always do is get caught in your words. It doesn't take more than being an idiot to catch you fella. Think you're smart, take it from an idiot you're as stupid as they come. You buy your own delusions and deny your own words. You've got some serious problems Bumgardner.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

Posted December 27, 2012

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CLOSED

show more

My reply: You say what's convenient for you in the moment Herculitus. Your word, as far as I've seen, has been destroyed by purposed mismanagement and use. You've allowed your disdain for scripture, which by default signifies a disdain for its Lord. What you may say Herculitus is never in questio. The reasons are always working with you fella. Corrupting light, not some of the time, all the time is your purpose. You know it. I know it.

My reply: This is another nebulous claim, unsubstantiated, a statement you wouldn't dare begin to attempt to attempt to compare notes. Want to? Say so, begin listing artifacts, besides paintings on walls and stories without physical evidence. That takes care of your thought.

show more

1) This is just more verbal diarehha

2) Really, so all those artifacts of Greek and Roman Gods are unsubstantiated? Do you read what you type?

3) Let me remind you of your feeble argument. Jericho exists, so the frabication found in the Bible is real. So now the argument is Jesus has a birth record which the idea of Jesus actually being born is not disputed by me. However, the TESTIMONY of his birth is not a record no matter which different one you chose. Kings stories are about just as real as God impregnating virgins.

Showing 11-19 of 19