At Nationwide, we have a purpose. It's about honoring our promise to protect what matters most to our customers − their lives, their families and their well-being. For more than 80 years, Nationwide’s products and services have helped millions of people protect their homes, cars and businesses and build a secure financial future. At Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, you can make a difference to our customers. We’re looking for people who care. People who want to make a difference in the lives of others. We’re looking for talented and creative people with ideas, experiences and passion to serve our customers and honor our promises.
Who We Are
Integrity, trust and respect are just a few of the words that describe our culture at Nationwide. We are a strong and stable company that values people above all else.
Our mutual advantage
We are a mutual company, which means we act differently than Wall Street. Our business model provides an undivided interest to service our members as a high-performing organization with strong financial discipline and operational excellence. It’s a culture where performance expectations are greater as we drive toward our goal of protecting what matters most to our members.
Customers have been at the center of our thinking from the beginning, and delivering the best personalized experience remains the cornerstone of our business strategy. In 1926, our company began with the simple belief that rural drivers deserved better rates than their urban counterparts who had more accidents.
Because we care so much about protecting what matters to our customers, we maintain a strong and stable capital position. With over $140 billion in assets as of June 30, 2010, the Nationwide enterprise is one of the largest providers of financial services and property and casualty insurance in the United States. Our company is appropriately capitalized to serve the needs of our customers.
At Nationwide, we believe it’s important to take care of the planet and to encourage others to do the same. It makes business sense, and it’s the right thing to do. We continually work to make it easy for our customers to go green. We offer paperless billing for our customers, and we encourage eco-friendly home and business repairs, such as alternative energy generating systems and appliances.
Diversity and Inclusion
Nationwide is a company where every voice is heard and valued. We understand the importance of associates and customers with different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Creating an inclusive culture where everyone is challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged is important because only then will we truly understand the unique needs of all of our customers.
Nationwide believes there is a distinct difference between diversity and inclusion. True diversity is greater than gender or race. It's all-inclusive. We seek out a winning combination of academic backgrounds, ages, cultures, life circumstances, thinking styles and interests. We want to pursue, develop and champion unique and talented associates at all levels. Inclusion is about fully engaging and developing our employees. Creating an inclusive workforce that develops its people is our goal and ultimate success as a company.
This philosophy enhances our performance as a company by:
· Understanding the global market we serve
· Providing the most effective products and services to our customers
· Relying on diverse suppliers through our Supply Management Services
· Serving as an integral member of the communities where we work and live
· Attracting, hiring, retaining and developing the best associates
This way, we can better serve our broad customer base with associates who represent our society.
Vision and Values
Our vision is to be the trusted advocate for U.S. consumers and businesses by protecting what matters most and building a secure financial future.
Our core values are at the heart of who we are as a company because, above all else, we focus first on people. Our values are grounded in our mutual heritage and we live them every day.
· We value people – Our biggest resource and our greatest asset in providing excellent service to our customers are our people and the diversity of skill, talent and experience they offer.
· We are customer-focused – We exist to serve our customers, and we strive to provide the very best personalized experience to each one.
· We act with honesty and integrity – We adhere to the highest ethical standards as we strive to do what is right and fair for our customers and for each other.
· We trust and respect each other – Valuing our differences and allowing each associate to express themselves in order to work together toward our common goals make us stronger as a company.