Every new mom knows that diaper changing is an important part of baby care. Diaper mats make adjustments easy, mess-free and hygienic. Learn about the different eco-friendly alternatives to PVC changing pads available in the market as well as how to save money by not buying a mat.
Changing pads or diaper mats are soft rectangular pads coated with PVC adhesive rubber sheet or polyvinyl chloride basically, a plastic, and utilized to lay baby on while changing a diaper. They make cleanups easy and hygienic by providing a clean surface for nappy changes. However, PVC is normally provides and non-biodegradable been associated with causing a variety of illnesses including, asthma. So, what choices will a green and eco-friendly parent possess? Learn about the many non-PVC changing mats as well as alternatives you can use instead of a changing desk pad.
Thanks to a growing awareness about the harm that PVC causes and a fast-spreading 'go green" motion, manufacturers of baby treatment products are discovering various earth-friendly and green options for changing pads. These diaper mats are usually made of thermoplastic TPE or elastomer which really is a materials with no PVC, latex and chloride, or PEVA that is again a non PVC vinyl or synthetic rubber encased in organic natural cotton. Using these alternatives is not only earth-friendly but also perfect for baby's sensitive skin. Moreover, it is easy to purchase these diaper changing mats on-line. Also, as, like fabric diapers, they're reusable, the price will probably be worth it totally.
There are lots of places from where a green parent can select a changing pad that is free from PVC. ZoLi ( has a selection of diaper changing mats manufactured from non harmful, PVC-free thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) in a variety of colors and coming in at $20 each. Healthy Kid and Amazon both offer Naturepedic's Organic Changing Table Pad. It is Greenguard qualified and manufactured from organic cotton having a slim cover of food-grade, nontoxic waterproof polyethylene covering. However, this changing desk pad is definitely expensive and costs nearly one hundred dollars.
Green Fibres has a interesting option to the changing pad rather. It includes a artificial rubber sheet covered with organic natural cotton. Coming in at $27, this changing sheet is definitely free from PVC and secure for baby's epidermis. FuzziBunz, a respected name in material add-ons and diapers, also makes diaper changing mats made of waterproof PUL with a top coating of gentle, organic cotton or fleece.
Additionally it is possible to not purchase a changing desk pad altogether and use the common alternatives to improve baby's nappy. A few options include:
1. A fabric diaper can simply dual up as a changing mat, for smaller babies especially. Keep a couple of extra prefolds accessible and simply glide one under baby's bottom level when you open up the diaper.
2. If you're using a disposable diaper, you can just slip an opened up, clean diaper under baby's bottom before you decide to open the filthy one. Then, once you surface finish cleaning baby, all you need to do can be lift and clean bottom one last time, glide out dirty diaper and you also possess a clean diaper ideal where it is wished by you.
3. Baby shower towels are smooth also, absorbent and big plenty of to serve as a diaper changing mat. Moreover, since they're a popular baby shower gift, it's possible you'll always have an extra one to serve as a diaper mat rather than towel.
4. Soft baby blankets could also be used to improve baby's diaper. Doubling a blanket will increase absorbency in case of any accidents throughout a diaper switch and the soft fabric will be perfect for baby's sensitive epidermis.
5. Crib sheets or a single bed sheet may also be folded and used to place baby on during diaper adjustments.
All these options are inexpensive, common and make diaper adjustments as easy and hygienic like a changing desk pad just. So, if you are a new parent who does not need to collect a whole lot of baby equipment or wants to cut costs on baby products, these alternatives are simply what you need. Green parents who simply wish an eco-friendly diaper mat can, on the other hand, invest in the changing table pads provided by businesses like Fuzzi Bunz or Naturepedic. These alternatives to changing pads are safe for baby and the environment, making them the best choice for bringing up baby within a gentle world.
Photo Credit: Retailers Patton via