Every new mom knows that diaper changing can be an important part of baby care. Diaper mats make adjustments easy, mess-free and hygienic. Learn about the different eco-friendly alternatives to PVC changing pads available for sale as well as how to cut costs by not investing in a mat.
Changing pads or diaper mats are soft rectangular pads coated with PVC or polyvinyl chloride basically, a plastic, and used to lay baby on while changing a diaper. They make cleanups hygienic and easy by giving a clean surface for nappy changes. However, PVC is definitely non-biodegradable and it has been associated with leading to a range of diseases including, asthma. So, what options will a green and eco-friendly mother or father have got? Learn about the many non-PVC changing mats in addition to alternatives that can be used instead of a changing table pad.
Thanks to an evergrowing awareness about the damage that PVC causes and a fast-spreading 'move green" movement, manufacturers of baby treatment products are coming up with various earth-friendly and green options for changing pads. These diaper mats are usually made of thermoplastic TPE or elastomer which really is a materials without PVC, latex and chloride, or PEVA which is once again a non PVC vinyl or artificial rubber encased in organic cotton. Using these alternatives is not only earth-friendly but also perfect for baby's sensitive skin. Moreover, it is possible to buy these diaper changing mats online. Also, as, like material diapers, they're reusable, the cost is usually totally worthwhile.
There are lots of places from in which a green parent can choose a changing pad that's free of PVC. ZoLi ( has a selection of diaper changing mats made of non dangerous, PVC-free thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) in a number of colors and priced at $20 each. Healthy Child and Amazon both offer Naturepedic's Organic Changing Table Pad. It really is Greenguard authorized and manufactured from organic natural cotton with a slim cover of food-grade, nontoxic waterproof polyethylene coating. However, this changing table pad is definitely costly and costs almost $ 100.
Green Materials includes a interesting alternative to the changing pad rather. It provides a synthetic rubber sheet covered with organic natural cotton. Coming in at $27, this changing sheet is definitely free from PVC and secure for baby's pores and skin. FuzziBunz, a leading name in towel accessories and diapers, also makes diaper changing mats manufactured from waterproof PUL with a top coating of soft, organic cotton or fleece.
It is also possible never to buy a changing table pad altogether and simply use the easily available alternatives to improve baby's nappy. Several options include:
1. A material diaper can double up ptfe sheets like a changing mat quickly, for smaller babies especially. Keep a couple of extra prefolds at hand and simply slip one under baby's bottom level when you open up the diaper.
2. If you're utilizing a throw-away diaper, it is possible to slip an opened simply, clean diaper under baby's bottom level before you open the filthy one. Then, whenever you end cleaning baby, all you need to do can be lift and wipe bottom one last time, slip out filthy diaper and you also have a clean diaper right where you want to buy.
3. Baby bath towels may also be gentle, big and absorbent enough to serve as a diaper changing mat. Moreover, since they're a popular baby shower present, it's possible you'll always have an extra someone to serve as a diaper mat rather than a towel.
4. Soft baby blankets could also be used to improve baby's diaper. Doubling a blanket increase absorbency in case of any accidents during a diaper modification and the smooth fabric is going to be perfect for baby's sensitive skin.
5. Crib sheets or an individual bed sheet may also be folded and utilized to lay baby on during diaper adjustments.
Each one of these options are inexpensive, easily available and help to make diaper adjustments just as easy and hygienic as a changing table pad. So, if you're a new mother or father who does not need to collect a lot of baby gear or wants to cut costs on baby products, these alternatives are what you need just. Green parents who simply want an eco-friendly diaper mat can, on the other hand, invest in any of the changing desk pads offered by companies like Fuzzi Bunz or Naturepedic. These alternatives to changing pads are safe for baby and the environment, making them the best choice for mentioning baby within a gentle world.
Photo Credit: Retailers Patton via